STUDYING AT THE ICP
HOW TO APPLY
You can use the following methods to apply for studies:
- Request an application form from the ICP administration offices. Contact Ms A van Staden at:
- Telephone number(s): +27 (0)11 827 7611/0209, +27 (0)11 021 8930 or +27 (0) 71 493 4543 (mobile)
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax Number: +27 (0)86 572 2695 (fax to email)
Completed application forms, must be emailed to the firstname.lastname@example.org
DOCUMENTATION TO INCLUDE WITH YOUR APPLICATION
- Proof of payment of application fee of R 100.
- Completed application form
- Certified copy of ID of prospective leaner
- A non-refundable application fee of R 100 must be included with your application form
- Upon notification of acceptance by the ICP the non-refundable registration fee (100% of the fees) is payable
Note: Study fees cannot be carried over from one study year to the next.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Terms and conditions apply (documents are made available on request).
- Subjects and syllabi are subject to change without prior notice.
- Programmes and workshops will be presented if leaners numbers permit.
- Textbooks: Note that the study material including study letters, study manuals and DVDs are included in the course fees, but prescribed textbooks have to be purchased by the leaners.
- All learning programmes have a strong e-learning component.
- All learning programmes incorporate compulsory practical work.
ICP leaners may use the ICP library situated on the Germiston campus. The library contains a collection of books, journals and prescribed texts.
Registered leaners have access to a range of services through the ICP leaners web including:
- Discussion forums, which provide additional contact with lecturers and fellow learners. Web forums provide an interactive space in the online environment (the internet) where registered learners
are able to collaborate towards achieving a common goal in terms of the course they are completing. The use of these web forums makes it possible for the ICP to enhance learners participation and interaction.
Through interacting on the forums, learners quickly find a huge additional resource, which will further assist in meeting the requirements of the various courses.
- Online journals, podcasts and e-portfolios are also utilised in course presentation and assessment.
PLANNING OF STUDIES
Planning of studies is valuable in that it will not only increase the learner’s understanding of the journey he/she is about to embark on, but also help him/her to set realistic goals in terms of his/her studies. Planning of studies is done on an individual basis – it is a joint effort between the ICP and each potential leaners. Some of the issues in course planning include:
- Choosing an appropriate course
- Exposition of the courses
- Subject choices (if applicable)
- Impact on family life
- Time factor
- Career possibilities
Prospective leaners interested in course planning are advised to contact Ms A van Staden, via email, at the ICP.
- Electronic delivery of study material and study related information
- Electronic submission of assignments through the leaners web
- Online learning activities through forums, online journals, podcasts and e-portfolios
- Available e-learning support team
ICP leaners have access to study methods notes previously offered by the ICP. The following topics are discussed:
- A general approach to studies
- Learner preparation
- Learning techniques
- Research tips
- Reading and note-taking tips
- Writing and exam-taking tips